Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Starting to feel my age...

Well, I guess this is it. I am about to turn 25 and after I had to ice my shoulder after a church-league softball game, I realized something...
I am officially starting to feel my age.
I have decided that "feeling my age" is not about the creaks and aches of my knees or shoulder, but about the epiphany I received just the other day. I am not "cool". I mean some kids might think that I am cool on a level of tolerance and might even associate with me socially, but as far as evaluating my social relevance, I have officially fallen out of the picture. I am no longer in the starting lineup, nor am I even on the Major League roster. Socially, I have been cast down into the Minors. Some high power social manager somewhere wants to respect my time spent in the "Big Show" by not shunning me fully from the organization, but allowing me to chase a pipe-dream of someday making it back to the "Show"; making it back to the Majors.
I guess what is the most important thing about this whole revelation, is that I am not so concerned with getting back to the social pipeline, but my transition came SO FAST! I feel like Bret Boone crying over the podium after being cut from his team, not seeing it coming. I guess I have always felt that this day was coming, and I knew I couldn't pull off Hollister clothes and I sure as all-get-out don't own a pink polo-shirt.
Speaking of polo-shirts, the other day I had an internal debate about whether or not I should go play video games on my day off, or perhaps play golf. This conflict hit me like Taco Bell burrito... I can't believe I am considering this! When did I trade my Nike hightops for some FootJoy golf shoes?! How long have I been an adult?! BLLAAACCCCHHH!!!
Have I really come to that moment? Have I crossed the barrier and not even known it? I thought I would feel a lot like Chuck Yeager, the first man to break the sound barrier. When his Bell X-1 hit Mach 1, a loud resounding BOOM! blitzed through the plane that must have scared the cockpit out of him. He must have known he passed through. He knew before he looked at his in-flight instruments, he knew before he returned to base. "Oh, wow. I guess we did do it, huh. Imagine that, we broke the sound barrier up there." I don't see it. But then again, I am not the best at seeing these things...
M@

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home