Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"When's that BABY due? BABY!!!!"

"I want to talk to you about something."

That was the last thing I heard in my life as I had then known it.
It was the last phrase in my semi-independent life.
Our lives were changed forever as my wife, Kyla concluded the phrase with;

"I want to talk to you about being a daddy."



Kyla and I are having a baby!!

So, as I mentioned in my previous blog, "Memorial Day" this was absolutely a weekend worth remembering. We have known for about a month or so and have not wanted to say anything until we had our first doctor's appointment on Tuesday last week.

It is funny the questions that I get asked.
"Was it planned?"
"Do you want a boy or a girl?"
"How did it happen?"
"How did you react?"

In the moment, I know that people are so excited about the news that they want to share in the moment with us, and we with you!!

But in hindsight, it is just that there are some questions, you shouldn't ask. My mom wrote a list of 10 things not to ask a pregnant lady, two of which are in my list.

Comedian, Brian Regan on his CD LIVE, does an unbelievable routine about what not to say to a pregnant lady, or something you might THINK is pregnant.

The moral of this story is thank you for your prayers, thank you for your excited hugs and congragulatory hand-shakes. We are not out of the woods yet, still have twenty weeks to go. I have already decided that I am going to be the guy that carries around a picture of his baby in his wallet and on his photo-Ipod, even if it does look like a gummy bear.

Here is the answer sheet.

We don't have a preference on whether it is a boy or a girl. Really. We know a lot of adorable girls and really cute boys. Plus, why would someone vocalize that? Even if we did, we wouldn't want to give the impression that we are even the least-bit-slighty-in-any-way disappointed.

We are VERY excited and have been praying for this for a long time!!

The due date is January 2, 2008. We know about the tax write off if it happens earlier and as many times as I have been told that, I still can't come up with a good-witty response. Anybody have any ideas?

Kyla is feeling great and so far has only craved french-fries (Thanks, Sarah Beck!) and tiny servings of chocolate frosting. She brought home a can of chopped green olives....I will not be partaking.

We love you all and thank you for your continued prayers!

M@

7 Comments:

Blogger Scott McBryde said...

One comment a friend of mine gets all the time is, "Are you able to afford a baby right now?"

To which the only proper response is to say "No." with a despondent look on your face then promptly stick out your hand palm up whilst you fondle some shiny piece of religious iconography.

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you both know that Casey and I are thrilled for you (and the soon-to-be grandparents!) Congratulations!

2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! We are THRILLED for you all! We get the boy/girl question all the time. Most people think we're having a third child in order to "get a boy." Seriously, we just don't feel like our family is full. And we wouldn't sign up for all that this entails and then cross our fingers in hopes that it's a boy.
You all are going to be such great parents and will certainly have great grandparents for your kids!!!!! Ya'll need to come over some time. And you can do more Brian Regan impressions for us.
Hey, are you on facebook?
Karen Heflin

10:31 PM

 
Blogger owldog90 said...

I have to point out the coincidence that you Kyla and Brooke and Michael are having a baby at the same time and were youth interns the same summer together, how cool is that? Hey future youth interns time line your babies :)

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Brooke said...

I have to admit I didn't know y'all were pregnant until just now, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! Take care of Kyla, I know you already are. I'm glad she's feeling pretty good...what a blessing! We'll have to get our kids together sometime!

12:19 PM

 
Blogger Brooke said...

We're due the week before Christmas. We're getting that "all-important" tax break!

6:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Witty Response:
"Taxes? What are those?"

...and stare blankly back at the person for an uncomfortable amount of time.

3:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home