Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I wish you were here


"The world is a roller coaster,
And I am not strapped in.
Maybe I should hold with care
but my hands are busy in the air."
-Incubus (Wish You Were Here)

I have heard all too often the analogy of our spiritual life as a Mountain Top, or a Roller Coaster. This is all fine and dandy except there are times when we are not up or down. What happens to us while we are on the journey, what happens when we are on the part of the ride that isn't the most thrilling?

I think it is important that if we are going to expect the highs and the lows of our spiritual lives, that we need to be prepared for the "neithers." What I mean is that sometimes, I feel like I am riding a roller coaster and am on the part where it is not the most thrilling. Perhaps you know what I mean. On the Titan at Six Flags over Texas, the huge drop at the beginning is an obvious thrill. Near the end, there is a cork-screw that brings you to the edge of blacking out. But there is one point that is common on most rides. I like to call this, "the breather." It is where the brakes are put on to keep the cars from going too fast and getting out of control. Sometimes there is a lonely employee person sitting in a small stand for no apparent reason, but the cars are suddenly slowed to a near stop before continuing on. Are you with me now?

I believe I am at one of those points. Ya know, when you kinda put your hands down for a second, stop screaming at the top of your lungs, and just sit there. The coaster cars are moving at just above a crawl, no one is screaming. Don't get me wrong, I waited in line for 2 and-a-half hours to get to this point, so I am obviously glad to be there/here.

I have often thought about those moments. Why do they have to slow it down? This is a thrill ride, and they are putting on the brakes? Why can't we go full throttle the whole time? Now that I am a bit older, I know the difference. I still want to ride the ride, but I now know those moments of braking are for our safety. We slow down so we don't fly off of the track. Maybe that is what I am in danger of.

Maybe I am looking at it all wrong. Instead of being disappointed in the lull of the thrill ride, why don't I use that calm to build up the anticipation of the rest of the ride? Perhaps that is what I need to do. I am not saying that I am near the end/middle/whatever of my time here at Lake Cities. Perhaps, things were going so fast, I was in danger of moving too quick. God has put the breaks on in my life to keep me on the tracks of youth ministry. It is my job to remain anticipated.

Now, about those $6 Cokes...

M@

2 Comments:

Blogger *Bethanie* said...

hey matt!!well i thought i would write something in here since nobody has yet..well i looked for you and kyla at the Keller vs. Fosill game last night but i couldnt find yall :0( well..us cool keller school distict kiddos are on one of our fall breaks this coming week so if you want to chill with us cool cats then call us up because i will be bored out of my mind!!!love ya!!

~Bethanie
(a.k.a. "B" or "Beth-A-Bee")

2:52 PM

 
Blogger *Bethanie* said...

hey do you have a xanga???

2:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home