Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Sunday, October 09, 2005

A Day In The Life Of... (Episode I)

I had an interesting day.
A day of...unexpectancies.
You know, one of those days that just make you think...
"Man, I wish I would have paid more attention to (fill in the blank)."
One of those days that even if you had paid attention to (fill in the blank), it would not have mattered.
One of those days that even a college degree could not prepare one for...
On Thursday (Oct. 6) I took some of my kids geocaching (pronounced "geo-cashing"). www.geocaching.com
This is a neat and FREE outdoor activity. All you need is internet access and a handheld GPS unit. One of my kids got his braces off that day and I remember how cool/special that day was for me. So, I thought we would make a day of it.
Geocaching is a scavernger/treasure hunt, you would be surprised at how many caches there are around you! Anyway, we were running around a neighborhood looking for our geocache and I got a sinking feeling. The one where you realize your stomach feels as empty as the pocket in which you routinely place your keys. The final two doors of the Xterra shut and I already know where my keys are. Yep, you guessed it...not in my pocket. It was one of those Jedi moments when you can feel that something is wrong. Like Yoda, I grimaced for no apparent reason yet at the sick feeling in my stomach, the one that told me the car was locked. I asked one of the more worthless questions ever for that situation..."Hey, did ya'll lock the car?" Yeah, like it matters now.
I began the time honored, yet ridiculous tradition of circling the car, checking every handle. As if for some magical reason, the auto locks may have happened to miss a door - ANY DOOR! - just this once. And just in case, I circled the car another dozen times or so.
My kids had found the geocache (which was cleverly hidden in a bird feeder). We signed the log book and then I let them in on the bad news. The problem was, I was supposed to meet my knew braceless buddy, Alex, but we obviously had no mode of transportation. Luckily, I had not abandoned my phone, it was still in the usual pocket. I called to tell Alex where we were, but I didn't know where we were. We had been winding our way through an unfamiliar neighborhood. Eventually they found us, and we all had a crash course in Grand Theft Auto and Breaking and Entering. Of all the messages, convictions...GTA and B&E were not one of the things I wanted to impress upon the youth. Nevertheless, it happened. No, seriously it did! Look! I HAVE PICTURES!!




No, it's cool! We eventually got in. And the moonroof can be fixed...

To be continued...

Please don't break into my car...

M@

2 Comments:

Blogger AAAA said...

What an awsome day it was! You are an amazing writer, you should seriously think about writing a book (not that you have enough free time to write a book or anything)You made me feel as if I was actually there...oh wait, I was ^_^ Well, I'm off to meet everyone at teh church.
~Invartact~

5:22 PM

 
Blogger Scott McBryde said...

I'm thinking this GTA thing would make a great object lesson. "You see the care keys symbolize the keys to the gates of heaven. And the kingdom of God is breaking into the world of man. But God doesn't tell us when all these things will come to pass, He comes like a thief in the night."

Or you could just make it into a t-shirt.
-scott

3:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home