Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Pass Right

Okay...That's it.
I have got to write about this whole Notre Dame thing.
There is just too much morality going on here with the whole Charlie Weis thing.
I can't help but talk about it. Can't help but think, and reflect upon it.
I have talked it to death in the youth room. This story has been studied, twisted, turned squeezed, every ounce of discussion drained from the story, every possible devotional scenario sucked from this story.
What story might you ask? What has McBryde up at night?
"Pass Right".
For a more detailed explanation, check out this site:
http://newsinfo.nd.edu/content.cfm?topicid=13703

What I love, is that for once, the right thing made the news. The right thing was cooler than the next dance in the endzone. What I love, is that Coach Weis kept his word. Not only did he decide to keep his word, against all logical reasoning in the mad world of footballology. But he had "no choice." I wonder if there was any debate. Not internally within Weis, but among the coaching staff. I have heard the story from Coach and Mother. I would like to hear it from Assistant Coach, or Offensive Coordinator. I wonder if there was any second-guessing Coach's long-made commitment. Perhaps, as I have now become convinced, those that work/know Weis best, knew they "had no choice." My guess is, when the ball was downed on their own 1 yard line, everyone began searching for the pass right tabs in their playbooks.
Brady Quinn knew of Coach's plan, asked him once if they were still committed.
Weis said yes, Quinn believed.
He bought into it.
Made it happen.
Play resulted in a first down. (Much thanks to a knifty move by the TE to hurdle a defender.)

Against everything the scenario posed, not only did Weis remain true, but he was able to lead others as well. As a result of his example, I - and I assume many others - have been affected by this tale of morality. I wish we lived in a society that did not react in shock and amazement to simply keeping your word. I wish we lived in a society that a story like this does not receive air time, because there are so many like it.

This is clearly not a fabricated stop for the Weis campaign tour aboard the Notre Dame Express. I believe that through and through. I also believe that Weis had no choice. I believe he is a man of conviction, a man I would play for, a man I would fight for, a man I would follow. I believe that leading a group to uphold that level of integrity, like Weis leads the Irish, is an inevitable, unavoidable step towards the throne of God.

This is quite possibly, my favorite sports story - ever.
I will not cheer against Weis - ever.
Let it be known, that I hereby announce my endorsement for Notre Dame Head Football Coach Charlie Weis, for President of the United States!

"Right-Pro-ThirtyFive-Dive Bootleg. On Two, On Two!"
What does that mean?
"Pass Right."

M@

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home