Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Monday, October 31, 2005

Trick, or Treat? Can I have a ride?

Mondays are my day off.
Mondays are the days that I will not set the alarm for, I will debate the necesity of a shower, perhaps screen my calls.
This Monday, I decided it was a good opportunity to go see a movie. With it being Halloween, I decided that a scary movie was the most appropriate. Kyla doesn't like them, so I would have to tackle this one solo.
I have never been to a movie by myself.
I am afraid of the inevitable look of acceptance from the likely single and lonely employee working the box office.
"One for [movie] at two o'clock, please."
-I got the look!-
"No, really it's okay. I'm married.
I am not really that pathetic.
My wife is...well....at.....work.
Ok, I am pathetic, just not in that way!"
I walked into the lonely theater ready to enjoy my afternoon matinee to realize that there were several other people in the theater. I had forgotten that the Grapevine ISD celebrated All Hallows Eve by allowing their students the day off to reflect. Great, now they think/know I am pathetic.
No matter, I am here for the picture show.
91 minutes later, I left the theater slightly unnerved by the scary movie, but was immediately more unnerved when I realized I had forgotten where I was parked. I don't ever do that. I can hop on a plane and leave town for 5 days and return to the spot where I parked my car. Sometimes, I can even do that after church! (Joel, I am kidding, you know I love you!)
I have never been to a movie by myself before.
I don't recommend it.
Why, do you ask?
Listen well, and take heed to this...
Someone might STEAL YOUR CAR!
You read me right, steal your car!
I circled the smaller-than-average-theater-parking-lot for about half an hour before I talked to Kyla. I was more shocked by the fact that I couldn't remember where I parked rather than entertain the notion that my car was stolen. But it was. I saw the stain where I had poured out a warm Coke two hours earlier.
I hate that they took the truck. I guess I deserved it for breaking into my own car (see blog "A Day in the Life Of) The truck was in awesome shape. Kyla's father, Dwight, had taken immaculate condition of it before we got it. Just to clue you in, it is a 97 model with 62k miles on it. Like I said, awesome shape. And we JUST put a full tank of gas in it!! Officer Abbott asked me the worth of the truck and gave me a look of stupidity when I answered "$19,000." But it was, to Kyla and me, it was.
But by now, it is probably in the great chop shop in the sky.
To those of you that I have promised to help move, I apologize. It kills me to think that I may not be able to help, just kills me! How excited I was to be of assistance in your moving process! I apologize with all of my heart.
All of it.

Waldrons, Millers, and Quiles, thank you.
M@

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Sickening. I'm so sorry Matt. Maybe it's time for that motorcycle we talked about!?!?!?!?

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

Stephen Bailey, this is Matt's mother. Just because his grandmother had a motorcycle doesn't mean he can have one!

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Scott McBryde said...

An Ode to Matt’s Truck…
by scott mcbryde

Oh Dodge Ram, my Dodge Ram,
Why did you have to go?
I always assumed,
You would drive me home.

The movie was scary,
Don’t see it alone,
Or you might find yourself,
Hitchhiking home.

Maybe someday he’ll find it,
In the spot where he parked it.
But I’ll bet his bumper,
Is on the black market.

Matt’s i-Pod was full,
The gas tank was too
Matt wrecked MY car,
So his time was due!

Now, a new car for Matt
One that they can afford
Skeet wants a Honda
So they’ll be in one ‘Accord.’

5:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a story. I heard that you had your truck stolen and it was on your blog. So I had to check it out.

This just is not your week. First the truck now your softball playing. What a stinky (that is the word my wife would use) week.

I guess I have earn the right now to call you out on your softball performance.

10:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Matt, I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 63K miles on it if you're interested.
I keep hoping somebody will steal it so I can get a car, the gas milage is eating up my money.

Chuck McBryde
Birmingham, Alabama
Chuck.mcbryde@gmail.com

12:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home