Just trying to go throuh life without looking too stupid; its not working out so well. I am still trying to figure this blog thing out. It feels weird asking people to read my thoughts. Then again, it feels weird going through all this trouble just to post them...

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Wedding Crashers

What is it about weddings?
Is it the distractions of the flower girl that is bored with life as she is told to sit still for an eternity, yet decides it is in her best interest to run amuk?
Perhaps it is the distant possibilty of watching one of the groomsman break the "don't lock your knees" rule and loose all grips on conscienousness?
Part of my deep, sick sense of humor wants to know if the groomsman are going to pull a prank during the ceremony at the climactic line "Do you have the rings?".
What crass graffiti did they write on the vehicle that the bride and groom will drive away in to begin their lives together?
"Ball and chain!"
"Dome on the rainbow!"
"Honk if you're horny!"
Sometimes I feel like we go to watch a train wreck. Not in the sense that the union will be a rocky relationship and destined to fail, but the wedding ceremony itself?
We went to a wedding of some very dear friends of ours over the weekend, the flower girl was relatively well behaved, especially after the tranquilizer shot. No pranks were pulled, the reception was nice.
The "getaway car" for the bride and groom pulled around to the front as they were ready to leave. I was glad/disappointed to see it was tastefully decorated.
As the bride (still in her dress) and the groom (still in his tuxedo) walked through the shower of rose pedals, he lead her to the passenger door that happened to still be locked. They asked the driver to unlock the door. As he exited the vehicle, he pushed the button and left the car. They tried the handle again only to find it was still locked...
The driver shut the door...locked.
There was this awesome moment that everyone realized that the locked button was accidentally pushed. The keys still in the ignition.
[Insert train wreck here]
The bride and groom began their lives together standing next to a car with the keys locked inside. Luckily, they are awesome people that love a great story. A few of us amateurs ran for a coat-hanger to get the car unlocked.
"Oh, I got this. I saw it in a movie once..."
And there we stood.
Finally, after we proved we couldn't break into an IHOP, my wife had the great idea to let them take our car and we would meet up with them and swap cars later.
So they drove off in our vehicle (kinda wierd) and when we did finally get the keys out, Kyla and I drove off in the "Just Married" car (very wierd); streamers, shaving cream and all.
We caught up with them about 20 miles down the road and swapped cars.

So I now remember why we go to weddings...
They're cheaper than a movie and there's free food!

M@

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Do you remember having a journal in Mrs. Nichols' class? It was a spiral notebook where you drew pictures and practiced your inventive spelling. (that's an early childhood term, I'm not being critical) You didn't seem to be too fond of it at the time. It's fun to see you enjoying this hi-tech form of journaling. I wonder if they still do that in kindergarten? I wonder if they call them blogs? I have been playing this little game in my head, substituting the word 'blog' in for 'talk' and 'write' in songs and phrases. "Let's give 'em something to blog about" by Bonnie Rait. "Have a Little blog with Jesus"...okay, so far that's all I got, but you get my drift. Where's Scott? That's his kind of game! Love you, Mom

8:59 AM

 
Blogger Brooke said...

Great story!

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Matt McBryde said...

Or how about my all-time favorite...
"And he BLOGS with me and he BLOGS with me, and he tells me I am his own..."
Oldie but goldie
M@

2:02 AM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

Acapella's, "Don't be bloggin' 'bout friends, when they're not around..."

10:20 PM

 
Blogger Matt Foster said...

I once was blogged in sin, but Jesus took me in...

If my groomsmen don't do soemthing classless and distasteful I believe I might question my selection process, after all, you pegged it when you admitted that that's why guys are at weddings anyway. I want a huge trainwreck, heck I wouldn't mind a casualty or two -- that's the price you pay for a good wedding... and that's also the reason why I'm still single

10:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home